21 January 2008

Prayers for Christian Unity

I love our week of Prayers for Christian Unity. A service is held in five churches in the town over the week and each service has a visiting preacher, so no one preaches in his or her own church. Four of these services are lunch-time services and we all share a simple meal afterwards.

Today, I preached at the town-centre Anglican church. I was totally chuffed that two members of the Anglican parish in my neighbourhood turned up to the service saying 'We came here to show our support for you.' Lovely. Ecumenism at the ground level.

Here is my sermon.

Oh, and on the subject of singing hymns that everyone knows, when we came to sing the last hymn, someone raised his hand and said 'Would you like organ accompaniment with that?' I joked that it never occurred to me to think that there would be an organist in the congregation.

No comments: