11 January 2007

My American Accent

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
The West
Boston
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


I thought it would be amusing for an American who has lived in the UK for 18 years to take the test "What American Accent do you have?" (Hat tip to Lutheran Chik)

In taking the test, though, I can see that the fundamental way I pronounce words has not changed even if I've picked up "British-isms" like "Spot on."

"Inland North" is absolutely right as I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio.

And, yes, I do call carbonated drinks "pop" and I'm grateful to have moved to a sensible part of the UK where sensible people call carbonated drinks "pop"!

2 comments:

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Well, something's wrong here, because I am from the South and it gives my accent the same as yours. Yes, as in the Don Williams song, I "learned to talk like the man on the 6 o'Clock News" as I became educated. (News media in the U.S. use Midwest accents because they can generally be understood by everyone.) But still, there is something odd about that test. It doesn't even ask about most of the accent variations in the Southeast.

For instance, a Georgian pronounces "ours" like "Rs", but someone from Virginia pronounces "ours" like "airs." I could multiply examples--none of which are in this so-called test.
But I call soft drinks "cokes," as a generic. Most people in the South do because Coca-Cola is bottled in Atlanta and Pepsi products weren't introduced until decades later.

PamBG said...

Perhaps the person who devised the test was most familiar with Northern accents?